ARONA AND THE STATUE OF ST. CARLO

During the Middle Ages, the town of Arona was a domain of the Visconti and later, from 1439 to 1797, of the Borromeo family who built the famous castle (Rocca di Arona), the remains of which can still be seen on the top of a hill on the other side of the lake.

Arona was the home of St. Carlo Borromeo, whose huge brass and bronze statue (23,40 mt. high), one of the highest worldwide, rises behind the town. Worth of a visit the Piazza del Popolo, where once stood the ancient commercial harbour, Villa Ponti and several romanesque and renaissance style churches.Every year Arona houses the Lake Maggiore Trade Fair (end of May beginning of June).



<< Back to itineraries